Names Cassandra, nice to be aquainted;

My photo
I am 20 years old. I am currently going to University of Cincinnati to major in English. I have been an avid reader since I began reading at a very young age. I have decided to take up reviewing as a hobby and to never sell out! My biggest dream as of right now would be to become a very well-known published author. Keeping my fingers crossed. Do not be afraid to email me @ CassandraRichards25@gmail.com if you have any questions or if you would like for me to review your book! :D

Friday, July 22, 2011

The Witches of Santa Anna (Books #1-7) by Lauren Barnholdt


Synopsis from Goodreads.com:
Natalia Moore is the new girl at Santa Anna Prep, and all she wants to do is fly under the radar -- get to her classes, meet a few friends, and try not to make a total fool of herself in the meantime. But when handsome and popular Campbell Elliot goes out of his way to be nice to the new girl, Natalia's plan to go unnoticed flies out the window.

Cam's hot, but he's completely off-limits. Raine Marsden, the most popular and meanest girl in school, has had her eye on him ever since the summer. And Raine doesn't like competition.

When Cam goes as far as inviting Natalia to the exclusive weekend party at Raine's house, Raine sets her sights on a new victim. But what Natalia doesn't know is that Raine and her friends are no ordinary mean girls. They have powers most people can only dream of, and nobody will stand in the way of what they want. And what Raine wants is Campbell.

The Witches of Santa Anna series of novellas, proves just how far true love will go and that nothing--not even pure evil--can change your destiny....

My Review:
Lauren Barnholdt is a genius when it comes to what I call Chick Lit. Think a Chick Flick movie only made into a tree. I found out that Ms. Barnholdt was playing with YA paranormal fantasy, I was very intrigued and was astonished that you could get the first seven books on Kindle for only .99 cents! I automatically bought it. I should have researched a little deeper because low and behold they were only short (VERY SHORT) novellas for a series. Each book were about three chapters long. I had no problem with it at the time because all seven books were only .99 cents. It was still a deal. Basically this was the first complete book of the series only broken up into novellas. Then I found out there were four more books and I hurried to my kindle store to check them out. They were still novellas and the first two were only .99 cents. Then the last two were $2.99. I am no cheap skate, but this seemed odd to me. Lauren Barnholdt has plenty books that are very good and I enjoy to read, but this turned me off to the series a little bit. First, (not saying its true, this is just my opinion) it seemed she was only writing these short novellas and putting them on Kindle and Amazon making a short three chapter novella for $2.99 only seems like she was just writing this series for the money. I like to think that most writers write for the pure sport and creativity, and they bestow this greatness on us just because they want to make us happy with thier world. Of course, most writers do it for this reason, but there is the other reason (I like to call this the Evil Reason) some writers do it for the money. Now enough with my ranting and I am real sorry for that. Let us go on with the review.

The beginning of the story is real slow to begin with, like with most books, but it is entertaining and funny, not too boring. I love when books do different points of view like Lauren Barnholdt does by naming each chapter with the character for their point of view. I like it more when it is between both the female main character and the male main character. It also gives the characters more life and you get both sides of the story. Where as with most books you only get one side with not all the information. This whole story with Witches is very original the plot was very well thought out. The characters were real and had real emotions. They were not what so ever robots. Some parts did annoy me when each character automatically assumed things that were not true, even though this way was more realistic. It just bugged me because I just wanted the two main characters to get the "Happily Ever After" already. I loved the symbolism with the butterflies, and was really creeped out by some of the characters.

I would recommend this book, so far from what I read were really good. My only problem with is the price for such short books.

Cover: Really pretty. I love that dress. A+

No comments: