Names Cassandra, nice to be aquainted;

My photo
I am 20 years old. I am currently going to University of Cincinnati to major in English. I have been an avid reader since I began reading at a very young age. I have decided to take up reviewing as a hobby and to never sell out! My biggest dream as of right now would be to become a very well-known published author. Keeping my fingers crossed. Do not be afraid to email me @ CassandraRichards25@gmail.com if you have any questions or if you would like for me to review your book! :D

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Afterlife By Isabella Kruger


Afterlife is about two young sisters, Louisa and Fluer going to an all girls when their evil aunt doesn't want the "brats" anymore. This all girls school is hell for them and they stuck for years in the place being slaves. When a strange magician comes to the school the Head Master, who wants nothing more than to woo the sexy magician, starts dressing all the girls in dresses and trying to appear that she is actually running a school instead of a slave camp. Louisa is instantly memorized by the magician and vice versa. Then, it turns out the magician is actually a vampire. When Louisa finds out she doesn't care and they go on secretly meeting each other each night. Then the head master finds out and kicks Louisa and the magician out of the house. Fluer is abandoned by her sister. Fluer begins blaming the magician and decides to set out to try to find her sister. Years later she tries to leave the school she is attacked and beaten to a bloody pulp. This is when a family, who cannot bare children take her in and nurse her back to health. They decide to keep Fluer and have her help them run their candy shop. This is where Daniel comes into play. Fluer feels she has met this man before, but cannot put her finger on where. She also does not understand why her new parents cannot stand him and want him to leave Fluer alone. Fluer decides to get some answers.

Afterlife to me was really strange. Let me tell you about what bothered me first, instead of what I like about it.
·         The writing style threw me for a loop and I just simply could not keep up with this fast paced story. For example, one minute Fluer is watching her sister get thrown out of the school and the next she is running away.
·         There was no transition. The time frame was very foggy. Are they in the 1800, or present time? I just couldn't get my bearings. This frustrated me so much.
·         Also the characters were shallow and seemed like robots. No emotion at all. Well, none that I could feel anyway. I just couldn't understand why Fluer loved Daniel so much? They barely had a relationship? I seen nothing to tip me off to where they actually spent time with one another? I want to see raw emotions. I want to see what it is about him that had her leaving her new adoptive, LOVING, CARING family (which she has never had before) for him? Didn’t make sense to me?
·         Nothing about this story made sense to me. It seemed as if Kruger made it all up as she wrote?
·         Another thing was when Kruger jumped from character to character on their point of view. I was like “Am I still reading from Fluer’s POV, or is this Daniel’s? Wait, who is this? Why is she so important? Wait, who the hell’s POV am I freaking reading!!!!!????” This was so frustrating and I could barely get through the book.
·         Then when it was in Fluer POV she automatically knew who everyone was? She never seen the Witch before, but yet she called her by her first name?
·         There were major holes in the plot.
·         Also when Kruger was dealing with characters one minute the villain was a werewolf, but then she was a vampire again?
 I do not understand this whole book at all? What was the sole purpose of this first book? Nothing too crazy happened. There wasn’t really a middle or end. It just seemed like Kruger made a very long beginning? I am just hoping Kruger’s next book comes out soon so I can actually see if her writing approves or if the story get any better.
The only thing I was even remotely kind of happy about was that the story line was very original. I loved the story line, it has so much potential.
Overall: Confusing and would not really recommend it unless you have nothing better else to do.
Cover: LOVE IT! It is so pretty<3
I will buy the next book, if it ever does come out on Kindle.  

No comments: