Names Cassandra, nice to be aquainted;

My photo
I am 20 years old. I am currently going to University of Cincinnati to major in English. I have been an avid reader since I began reading at a very young age. I have decided to take up reviewing as a hobby and to never sell out! My biggest dream as of right now would be to become a very well-known published author. Keeping my fingers crossed. Do not be afraid to email me @ CassandraRichards25@gmail.com if you have any questions or if you would like for me to review your book! :D

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Jenny Pox by J. L. Bryan

Synopsis from Goodreads.com:
Jenny is a quiet, small-town girl in South Carolina whose touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague. Jenny can't control her power. Her life is friendless and lonely until she meets a boy with the opposite power, a healing touch. Her love for him brings the wrath of his beautiful and immensely popular girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.Jenny must master her own deadly power in order to free Seth from Ashleigh's control. Then she must defeat Ashleigh before Ashleigh can destroy her.

****

Jenny Pox was a very haunting story. The most haunting I have read in a long while. Its nothing like scary, just very haunting. It seems like that is the best word to describe this story with. The story reminded me of a few of my favorite movies such as "Mean Girls", "Carrie", "Saved", and "X-Men". Alothough J. L. Bryan's writing style was boring and made me skim through the book instead of letting me hang onto every word, he was specially gifted in making the plot seem terrific and original. The plot was so well constructed and thought out I never saw the truth of the situation or end coming. The story line seemed flaky at times and hard to follow, but I had easily recovered by rereading a few paragraphs a few times.

The characters to me were realistic, but with a bit of demented personalities. Jenny was the lonely, scared young girl who has just reached her senior year of high school and yeilded a deadly plague when she touched a person. She resorted to wearing gloves and being teased her whole life. It was very easy to feel sorry for Jenny and to understand her depression growing up. Ashleigh was this evil, "religious" mastermind who was the one to cause all hell to break loose. Ashliegh also wielded a special power just by touching people. She spread love and desire. When Ashleigh touched others, they automatically adored her and would do anything she would say. Ashleight basically controlled the whole town. Opposite of Jenny's character, it was extremely easy to hate Ashleigh's character. Then there is Seth. The prize between both girls. Seth also has an amazing power when he touches others. He can heal. Seth is the only person in the entire world Jenny can touch without causing the plague and she instantly falls in love with him.

Overall: There are a few parts that disgusted me and made me put the book down a few times. I also had a few times questioning myself if I could even finish the book. I am glad I had though. The ending was worth it and I cannot wait to see what happend next in the second book named Tommy Nightmare. I would not recommend this book unless you like the movies I have named earlier or if you are not light hearted. The book is slow and boring at times but towards the end it was worth it.

Book Cover: Eh. Its nothing special.

No comments: