Names Cassandra, nice to be aquainted;

My photo
I am 20 years old. I am currently going to University of Cincinnati to major in English. I have been an avid reader since I began reading at a very young age. I have decided to take up reviewing as a hobby and to never sell out! My biggest dream as of right now would be to become a very well-known published author. Keeping my fingers crossed. Do not be afraid to email me @ CassandraRichards25@gmail.com if you have any questions or if you would like for me to review your book! :D

Friday, June 29, 2012

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen

Synopsis:

Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger--she is an Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx's biggest threat.

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant--God's promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he's finally found the girl he's been searching for: Sasha.

With the threat of Eryx always looming, Jax knows he has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?

*****

"You're that attractive to me. I can smell you from across the room, like hot cider with cinnamon and clove. I can hear you breathe. I can see every hair on your head, every breath you take, every time you clench your jaw. My mind imagines you kissing me, and it doesn't stop there. I want to be with you all the time."

I have been contemplating on how I wanted to review this book. The concept of the story is mind blowing and original. I liked it, but did I love it? I still don't know. It is so frustrating because I want to love this book. I want to look back at reading this book and think, Damn! That was an amazing read. It was a great read, just not amazing. And that sucks for me.

Trinity Faegen's writing seemed very flawed to me in this book. She rushed through the whole entire story, the characters were very annoying and seemed to not have any swagger what so ever, and as the plot seemed to be made up as the story went, as if she had no research and was just throwing things together to make it epic.

The story is very rushed and dumps A LOT of information on you. I never had time to really understand or absorb the information without being bombared with other new information! I just wished I really understood what the urgency was or why things that were happening were bearing certain consequences. The urgency to hurry and the time line for the plot did not match up. I don't know if it was because I was still trying to process the information given, or because the writing was very flawed. The plot as well seemed to be made up as the story went, which could have been because of the writing and ultimatly made it seemed rushed.

Some the characters actions in the story were very unbelievable and through out I kept thinking, "No one in thier right mind would actually say that to someone without being punished in some sort of way. Also, things happened or would be said that were completely out context and then everyone acted like it never happened or it was okay for that character to say or do that. Unrealistic. For example (mild spoiler) Jax takes Sasha shopping for clothes and she goes in the fitting room to try them on. She, like every female, took forever. Instead of Jax just knocking the door or calling out to see if she is okay, he flashes in the fitting room with her and she is naked! Her boobs are just right there and he stares then hurries out of there. Sasha only acts as if it was no big deal and doesn't really do anything. I, so not being a prude (believe me), would have been so mortified! It was nuts! The character, Ajax, was probably my favorite, even though he seemed like an asshole that has no confidence in himself, or others. He expected Sasha to love him even though at times he was an ass, and then get all depressed when she knocked him down a peg. Sasha was my least favorite, though at times I definitely rooted for her. She just seemed so confused and put herself in stupid situations where Jax had to come either rescueing her, or fixing the stupid things she did. Do NOT even get me started on the ending. It ended. That's it, no closure of what the hell just happened. RUSHED! The big climax, something crazy, confusing happens and then, END! WHAT! :(

It was the concept of the story I liked, and some of the character's actions that made this story better. It was also very original. If Trinity had got her act together and fixed her writing flaws this would have been an amazing story! I would only recommend this if you wanted something to read to pass the time.

No comments: