Names Cassandra, nice to be aquainted;

My photo
I am 20 years old. I am currently going to University of Cincinnati to major in English. I have been an avid reader since I began reading at a very young age. I have decided to take up reviewing as a hobby and to never sell out! My biggest dream as of right now would be to become a very well-known published author. Keeping my fingers crossed. Do not be afraid to email me @ CassandraRichards25@gmail.com if you have any questions or if you would like for me to review your book! :D

Friday, August 19, 2011

Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen

Synopsis:

For eighteen year-old Gemma, life has never been normal. Up until recently, she has been incapable of feeling emotion. And when she's around Alex, the gorgeous new guy at school, she can feel electricity that makes her skin buzz. Not to mention the monsters that haunt her nightmares have crossed over into real-life. But with Alex seeming to hate her and secrets popping up everywhere, Gemma's life is turning into a chaotic mess. Things that shouldn't be real suddenly seem to exist. And as her world falls apart, figuring out the secrets of her past becomes a matter of life and death.

*********

Gemma could not feel emotions for years, and nor did she mind until one day she began to feel again. She would get a tiny prickle on the back of her neck whenever an emotion that was unknown would come to her. She is confused and overwhelmed by all these emotions she has never felt and really doesn't know what to do with herself anymore. Sadly of all, she is lonely now. Her grandparents raised her when her Mom died when she was just one years old. Well, she calls them her grandparents, but they really don't act like they actually enjoy her company. They are mean, hateful and never want to be around her. Her only real escape is school and she barely even enjoys that! Until the day Alex shows up at her school and she is instantly drawn to him. Never mind the wierd electric static that makes Gemma come alive, he is, of course, dangerously handsome and mysterious! Oh, and not to mention, he hates her guts for no good reason at all! Gemma begins having nightmares that seem to be stalking her in real life as well, and when Alex tells her who she really is, is when the real fun begins.

Overall this was a fun, mysterious, and frustrating read. I enjoyed, but of course there were some minor flaws. The originality of the story was so new and no one has ever done before. It was a break from all the other paranormal books I have been reading as of late. The Fallen Star was its own kind of story. The characters were raw and real, just unrealistic at times. I also felt that Gemma were asking the wrong questions at times, because she would be with Alex and they have a moment and she kind of ruins it by asking him dumb questions that have nothing to do with anything!
Me: "Gemma, are you telling me Alex kissed you! What did you do?"
Gemma: "Oh, I asked him why it was raining and lightening out."
Me: "Why didn't you ask him why the hell he kissed you!?"
Gemma: "He hates me! He is just trying to get answers from me!"
Me: "HE IS NOT ASKING YOU ANY QUESTIONS!" *facepalm
Gemma did get on my nerves from time to time with her niavity, but Alex was just god awful. I really wanted to hurt him the most. He just seems like an arrogant spoiled idiot who has no idea what he wants out of life, or from Gemma. One minute he is all about her, next he could care less. I just wish Sorensen would have just made it a romantic relationship, or just cut it off. It got really annoying. My favorite character was Laylen. He was sweet, charming, and I think has a thing for Gemma, but I can't really say where Sorensen is taking that relationship. If she does the whole love triangle thing, then this series has either gotten better, or way worse. The writing style of Ms. Sorensen was really good. I could Gemma's emotions and at times it was very sad. I could also feel Gemma's confusion. The only problem with me was the storyline was very confusing and I could not seem to keep track of all the questions I was asking, or the slim answers that were barely even answered. The ending was a huge cliff hanger and I had to hurry to buy the second book, The Underworld.

Overall, I did like this book, just a few things I did not agree with. I would recommend this book. Its a very good mystery! It kept me entertained and focused and I just could not put it down!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the cover art and your review was equally as fabulous! I'm definitely putting this on my wishlist! I love a great read! Your blog is gorgeous by the way and we have a lot of books in common!!

Three copies of Putting Makeup on Dead People to giveaway at Unedited!

Cassandra Richards said...

Thank you so much! :)

This book was really good and I enjoyed for the most part!

^.^