Names Cassandra, nice to be aquainted;

My photo
I am 20 years old. I am currently going to University of Cincinnati to major in English. I have been an avid reader since I began reading at a very young age. I have decided to take up reviewing as a hobby and to never sell out! My biggest dream as of right now would be to become a very well-known published author. Keeping my fingers crossed. Do not be afraid to email me @ CassandraRichards25@gmail.com if you have any questions or if you would like for me to review your book! :D

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Falling From Grace by S. L. Naeole

Synopsis:

When you wake up in the morning and your eyes take in the first hints of light that shine through your window, the dust motes catching and reflecting the sun’s rays like little diamonds, the shimmering hues of yellow and orangey gold breaking through into your room, the first thing you think about usually isn’t how you’re going to make it through the worst day of your life.

Unfortunately for Grace Shelley, that’s exactly what she’s facing as she ponders what to do now that she’s going to be starting out her last year in high school without her best friend. She’s not exactly the most popular girl in school - well, not the most popular girl in school to like, anyway - and everything seems to be hinting at another status quo year for her until she bumps into a stranger who leaves her stumbling for words and chasing after her heart.

The new guy in school is different. Robert doesn’t care about the rumors he’s heard about her or that no one else seems to see her the same way that he does; he only wants to be her friend. That’s when things get complicated. When Grace learns that he’s not your typical high school boy and that he’s actually a wingless angel who’s looking for someone to trust, she’s thrust into his world where not all angels are meant to protect human beings, and where the changes she brings into his life changes everything in hers.



**************************

“Before I succumbed to the sweet lull of his voice, I made one last request. "Stay". I was asleep before he could answer, but in my dreams I heard him reply "Forever."”

Falling from Grace was the first book I read written by S. L. Naeole. Man oh man! She is a fantastic writer! Grace Shelley is the school reject. She is described, by herself, as ugly. (I've read a few reviews where they are all "its unrealstic to have someone gorgeous ugly fall in love with someone ugly. Wrong. How shallow can you people be? Seriously. I consider myself ugly, but my gorgeous boyfriend says I am beautiful.) Grace is probably not ugly as she thinks she is, but kids at school ridicule her for being different. (I can relate. Big time.)  She is different and she never seems to fit in any where except with her best friend, Graham. Then she confesses her love for him, and he ends the friendship for some sleeze. Typical. After weeks of being depressed and no one to turn to the first day of school has arrived. To Grace, this is the worst day to be alive. She has face Graham, his sleeze and her friends and the rest of the school. How will she stay out of the depressed mood, and survive without so much as a tear. It seems hopeless. Until she meets the hunky new guy, Robert. That when her world is turn upside down, or right side up. (Tomatoe, tomotoe; half full, half empty.)

This book was a handful in the good and bad way. I'm not bashing the author or the book, it was just a lot of emotions that would consume you. I loved how Naeole's writing could do that, but along with Grace, it was tough to live with such strong emotions, and mix in a gorgeous, deadly, angel and you have yourself a pickle. The characters were amazing. The only character I could have done without was Graham. I hated him since he hurt Grace, and thought I wouldn't have forgave him so easily and would have beaten up his sleezy girlfriend for being such a bitch! Grace is an emotional girl with a lot of issues, Robert seems to come in and helps her with these emotions and then all of a sudden he is the cause of these emotions. The way she handled the news he was an angel was unrealistic. I would have freaked, but to Grace it seemed odd, but she took it as normal as possible. Too normal if you ask me. Some of the situations in the book seemed unrealistic at times, but over all the story was fantastic.

My favorite scene in the novel is a cliff hanger, so I can't really say much about it, but man was it a tear jerker. Poor Grace, and poor Robert. I just couldn't understand at first why all that was being said but then it all made sense once they explained it. I know, I know, you have no idea what the hell I am talking about. Read the book and you'll find out, (HINT: Its after the holloween festival :))

Overall, it was amazing and I would highly recommend this to anyone. You need to read this!

No comments: